Tuesday, July 5, 2011

IEP Helpful tips!

“If One Advances confidently in the direction of his Dreams, and Endeavors to Live the Life which he has Imagined, He will meet with a Success in Common Hours.” ~Henry Thoreau

Greetings everyone! My deepest apology for just returning. I too have been in a IEP whirl wind with my son. Some good but a lot bad, because of that it drove me to read the following the book by WrightsLaw titled "Titled All About IEPs". I did so to see what was wrong and why was everything going to bad and the tips helped. My child is 17 and is about to be a junior soo I think sometimes at least for me I get in a pattern of doing things and need a check every now and then.

Today I am going to share the key items to look out for during the IEP process whether it is the first time or you have been at it for while this is helpful for both the parent and the self advocate.

  1. Falling to make a long term plan for the child's education and or future.
  2. Not clearly understanding the child's disability and allowing the school to make decisions about their child's( their) special education
  3. Forgetting to keep your emotions under control
  4. Not documenting events and conversation in writing. ( see the book for more details)


May share that in 7 years this year my emotions got the best of me. So I personally must really work on number four!

Word of the week!
Consent- reequirement that the parent be fully informed of all information that relates to any action that the school wants to take about the child.

Question of the week?
What help you through this years IEP hurdle?

Know the law !

Until next time
IEP Mentor VA


No comments:

Post a Comment